- a uniform setting for graduate studies (from bachelor to PhD) in mathematics in Berlin,
- a coordinated, highly diverse course program in English (Phase I, from bachelor to qualifying exams in two years),
German language skills are not necessary,
- access to all math research groups in Berlin for a PhD (Phase II), in particular, to the DFG Research Training Groups (Graduiertenkollegs) and other ongoing research projects,
- intensive mentoring during the whole duration of studies, and
- support in non mathematical issues ranging from housing to visas and from child care to language courses.
We invite excellent mathematics students from Berlin, Germany, Europe and all over the world to join BMS - and to make good use of the ample opportunities offered by the rich and diverse mathematics teaching and research environment.
Depending on the individual background, admission is to Phase I (typically with a bachelor) or directly to Phase II (for example, for students holding a master/diploma).
Besides striving for excellence, BMS is actively pursuing the goals of internationality, gender equality and diversity: We set the explicit goal to have half of our students come from outside Germany, and to reach a 50 percent representation of female students. The BMS actively and explicitly welcomes and embraces diversity. We will take measures to create an environment that is accepting, liberal, and supportive for its students, faculty and employees. The city of Berlin, with its tradition of multicultural openness, its good relations to the East and the West, and its rich cultural and academic life, provides an excellent setting for this. We are looking forward to your visit to Berlin!
Jürg Kramer (Chair)
Holger Reich (Deputy Chair)
John M. Sullivan (Deputy Chair)
The BMS was founded in the summer of 2006. From November 2006 until December 2018, the BMS obtained funding as a Graduate School in the framework of the German "Excellence Initiative". Since 2019, the BMS has been the graduate school in the Cluster of Excellence MATH+, which is funded by the Excellence Strategy.