The BMS encourages students (both in Phase I and Phase II) to attend mathematical conferences, summer/ winter schools or workshops that further their mathematical education! Please also use the trip as an opportunity to represent the BMS.
Phase I students: One trip during Phase I
Phase II students: One trip per year during Phase II
However, funding is not guaranteed, a final decision will depend on the annual BMS travel budget. The reimbursement will be restricted to travel and accommodation costs for the duration of the conference and conference fees if applicable. The BMS is not able to pay a daily allowance (Tagegeld).
Please note: a private stay/holiday added to the conference trip may be no longer than five consecutive days.
If you only require reimbursement for a conference fee, please check here: https://www.math-berlin.de/students/travel-regulations/for-language-courses-or-conference-fees
1. EMAIL to ask for funding
- purpose and dates of trip
- total costs (incl. details)
- if you will give a talk/ present a poster
- if your advisor/ supervisor already agreed
- if you have any other funding sources to cover these expenses
If you are attending the conference without any contribution, the BMS requires a letter of support from your advisor (Phase I) or supervisor (Phase II).
If you are contributing to the conference by giving a talk, presenting a poster or similar activities, you must mention the BMS as financial support. You can download the logo here: https://www.math-berlin.de/media-press
After we have agreed to fund your trip, you can go ahead and book transport and accomodation while keeping in mind the instructions and taking screenshots of price comparison websites. If you need to book a more expensive flight/ train ticket or hotel room for any reason, you must explain so in a written statement (preferably in German) so the TU travel cost department can understand your choice.
2. APPLICATION for conducting official travel (Dienstreise)
Read these detailed instructions in English.
You must submit the following documents in the original paper form with your original signature (on each document) to Heather Heintzel (TU, MA 8-1, office MA 801) at least 3 weeks before your departure date:
1. Scholarship recipients, FU and HU students, please use: "Application for conducting travel by non-TU personnel" (German version). (Guide on how to fill out the form)
TU WiMis (employees), please use this application form for TU personnel: "Application for official travel" (German version) which must be signed by your supervisor.
2. Program (can be a printed screenshot of the conference website) to prove the dates.
3. Invitation / Registration
4. Proof of conference fees (if applicable)
5. Proof of travel costs (e.g. screenshot of a price comparison website or ticket)
6. Proof of accomodation costs (e.g. screenshot of a price comparison website or reservation)
7. Scholarship recipients, FU and HU students: Filled out "Stammdatenblatt"/ Info on personal details (for the TU accounting department) (English translation).
TU WiMis (employees) do not need to fill in this form but give their personnel number on the application and reimbursement forms.
8. If you are not giving a talk/ presenting a poster, letter or email by your advisor or supervisor confirming your attendance.
9. If necessary, a letter explaining any special circumstances: e.g. somebody else booked the tickets for you (confirmation from that person that you paid them back), explanation on public transport if the ticket does not show dates/ amount / journey details etc.
You may receive 80% of your anticipated costs as an advance payment. If you do not have enough funds to book your tickets before you receive the advance payment, please include this info in your application (e.g. on the screenshots / in a letter).
A1 Confirmation (WiMis / employees only): For business trips abroad, you should usually carry an A1 confirmation with you. Your HR department can issue this. (Link for TU employees, Link for FU employees)
3. REIMBURSEMENT FORMS after your trip
Read these detailed instructions in English.
You must submit the following documents in the original paper form with your original signature (on each document) to Heather Heintzel (TU, MA 8-1, office MA 801) at the latest 5 months after your return date:
1. "CLAIM for travel expenses" (German version).
2. "FORM for travel expenses" (German version). (Guide on how to fill out the form)
3. Proof of all payments / invoices incl. your original signature and if necessary, a currency conversion using oanda (see instructions).
4. If necessary, a letter explaining any special circumstances: e.g. somebody else booked the tickets for you (confirmation from that person that you paid them back), explanation on public transport if the ticket does not show dates/ amount / journey details etc.
A few requests for submitting your documents:
Please sign your invoices with some space around your signature as we need to put a stamp above your signature that says "This is an online original invoice..."
Please do not staple anything. Every single staple needs to be reomved for copying.
Please tape smaller invoices or boarding passes to scrap paper so they do not get lost and can be copied easier.
Please print double sided if possible and only the relevant pages so as to waste as little paper as possible. E-Mail confirmations or e-tickets often contain several pages of advertisments that do not need to be printed.